Dr Arjun Rajagopalan
I was the Best Outgoing Student (Johnstone Medal – 1974) from the Madras Medical College: one of India’s oldest and most prestigious medical schools. I did my residency training in General Surgery in the US (1975-1981) at the Loyola University Medical Centre, Chicago, where I was the Best Outgoing Senior Resident (1980). I then obtained certification from the American Board of Surgery. I am a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada.
Returning to India in 1981, I did a Moses-in-the-desert thing for a dozen or so years. “To everything, there is a season”; mine arrived in 1992. I helped conceive, set up and run the Sundaram Medical Foundation, Chennai, since its inception in 1994. SMF is a 200-bed, modern, full-service, not-for-profit, teaching hospital that provides postgraduate training for certification in 11 disciplines of the National Board of Examinations.
After a professional life of four decades as a surgeon, educator and medical administrator, I am now retired.
Being in good physical and mental health, I stepped back to take stock of my future years. How could I provide value to a broader audience? One resoundingly clear choice came up: an explainer of complex ideas and concepts. Evidence-based medical practice has been my principal strength. I can read, analyse, interpret and apply scientific information with great expertise.
Over the years, I have used my communication skills to full effect. I write with flair, clarity and conviction. I have an excellent reputation as a public speaker. Even though I reside in India, I am a “native English speaker”. My fluency with the language is better than most.
- From the ground up, I set up and administered a 200-bed, full facility, modern hospital for 22 years. A medical staff of 120 plus doctors and 350 nursing professionals reported to me.
- I was in charge of putting together and overseeing 11 postgraduate training programmes (National Board of Examinations) in a variety of medical disciplines.
- I served as the head of the Department of Surgery during my entire tenure.
- I headed a wide range of quality assurance and certifications programmes.
- I headed the research and publications activities of the hospital as well as all continuing professional development programmes.
- I chaired the process of annual budget allocation.
- I have mentored 100s of young medical professionals, many of whom are in leadership positions today.
- I have a nationally known reputation as a speaker, teacher and communicator of ideas.
- Date of birth: 28 June 1951
- Presentation Convent, Church Park, Chennai (they took in boys till the 5th class, in those days) – KG to 5th class (1960).
- Don Bosco Matriculation School, Egmore, Chennai – 1960 – 1966.
- Loyola College, Chennai – Pre-University – 1966 – 67. B Sc (Zool) – 1967- 68.