Dr Arjun Rajagopalan
I was the Best Outgoing Student (Johnstone Medal – 1974) from the Madras Medical College: one of India’s oldest and most prestigious medical schools. I did my residency training in General Surgery in the US (1975-1981) at the Loyola University Medical Centre, Chicago, where I was the Best Outgoing Senior Resident (1980). I then obtained certification from the American Board of Surgery. I am a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada.
Returning to India, I helped conceive, set up and run the Sundaram Medical Foundation, Chennai, since its inception in 1994. SMF is a 200-bed, modern, full-service, not-for-profit, teaching hospital that provides postgraduate training for certification in 11 disciplines of the National Board of Examinations.
After a professional life of four decades as a surgeon, educator and medical administrator, I am now retired. Being in good physical and mental health, I stepped back to take stock of my future years. How could I provide value to a broader audience? One resoundingly clear choice came up: an explainer of complex ideas and concepts. Evidence-based medical practice has been my principal strength. I can read, analyse, interpret and apply scientific information with great expertise.
Over the years, I have used my communication skills to full effect. I write with flair, clarity and conviction. I have an excellent reputation as a public speaker.
Even though I reside in India, I am a “native English speaker”. My fluency with the language is better than most.
Some facts about myself:
- FACT: From the ground up, I set up and administered a 200-bed, full facility, modern hospital for 22 years. A medical staff of 120 plus doctors and 350 nursing professionals reported to me.
- FACT: I was in charge of putting together and running 11 postgraduate training programmes in a variety of medical disciplines.
- FACT: I headed a wide range of quality assurance and certifications programmes.
- FACT: I headed the research and publications activities of the hospital as well as all continuing professional development programmes.
- FACT: I chaired the process of annual budget allocation.
- FACT: I have mentored 100s of young medical professionals, many of whom are in leadership positions today.
- FACT: I have a nationally known reputation as a speaker, teacher and communicator of ideas.