By accident or design, you have landed on the website of Dr Arjun Rajagopalan. This site contains a mishmash of my activities. Click on the tabs to read a brief introduction to the various sections.
Feel free to explore the site with the navigation bar.
Dr Arjun Rajagopalan
I was the Best Outgoing Student (Johnstone Medal – 1974) from the Madras Medical College: one of India’s oldest and most prestigious medical schools. I did my residency training in General Surgery in the US (1975-1981) at the Loyola University Medical Centre, Chicago, where I was the Best Outgoing Senior Resident (1980). I then obtained certification from the American Board of Surgery. I am a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada.
Returning to India in 1981, I did a Moses-in-the-desert thing for a dozen or so years. “To everything, there is a season”; mine arrived in 1992. I helped conceive, set up and run the Sundaram Medical Foundation, Chennai, since its inception in 1994. SMF is a 200-bed, modern, full-service, not-for-profit, teaching hospital that provides postgraduate training for certification in 11 disciplines of the National Board of Examinations.
After a professional life of four decades as a surgeon, educator and medical administrator, I am now retired.
Being in good physical and mental health, I stepped back to take stock of my future years. How could I provide value to a broader audience? One resoundingly clear choice came up: an explainer of complex ideas and concepts. Evidence-based medical practice has been my principal strength. I can read, analyse, interpret and apply scientific information with great expertise.
Over the years, I have used my communication skills to full effect. I write with flair, clarity and conviction. I have an excellent reputation as a public speaker. Even though I reside in India, I am a “native English speaker”. My fluency with the language is better than most.
- From the ground up, I set up and administered a 200-bed, full facility, modern hospital for 22 years. A medical staff of 120 plus doctors and 350 nursing professionals reported to me.
- I was in charge of putting together and overseeing 11 postgraduate training programmes (National Board of Examinations) in a variety of medical disciplines.
- I served as the head of the Department of Surgery during my entire tenure.
- I headed a wide range of quality assurance and certifications programmes.
- I headed the research and publications activities of the hospital as well as all continuing professional development programmes.
- I chaired the process of annual budget allocation.
- I have mentored 100s of young medical professionals, many of whom are in leadership positions today.
- I have a nationally known reputation as a speaker, teacher and communicator of ideas.
- Date of birth: 28 June 1951
- Presentation Convent, Church Park, Chennai (they took in boys till the 5th class, in those days) – KG to 5th class (1960).
- Don Bosco Matriculation School, Egmore, Chennai – 1960 – 1966.
- Loyola College, Chennai – Pre-University – 1966 – 67. B Sc (Zool) – 1967- 68.
TTT has been around for almost 5 years. It’s a carefully curated list of articles from a wide range of sources on the Internet. Each month, about 10,000 articles are scanned and anywhere from a dozen to two dozen pieces are picked. I have been sending the selection out as a monthly listing and have received nothing but enthusiastic support for the selection. TTT is available free of cost. (Click here to enrol for the newsletter.)
To make the collection more useful, I have started putting the articles into a powerful, yet easy-to-use, database (Airtable).
- This utility is offered in the spirit of a digital zettelkasten — a tribute to sociologist Niklas Luhmann (1927–1998). (Luhmann built up a zettelkasten of some 90,000 index cards for his research, and credited it for enabling his extraordinarily prolific writing (including over 70 books and 400 scholarly articles)).
- Click here to view the full database
- Use the drop down list from the menu bar - "TTT - Recent months" - to view items by month.
I enjoy writing. This section contains a list of my posts and articles.